Author: Jessica Hadari
Notes from Amy Ahlers 2012 talk at our Miracle Salon - Based on the book Big Fat Lies Women Tell Themselves: Ditch Your Inner Critic and Wake Up Your Inner Superstar © 2011 by Amy Ahlers.
Author, Amy Ahlers
It’s 2012…the year that has been touted as the end of the world. The end of the Mayan calendar. The apocalypse. Between hurricanes, earthquakes, tsunamis, and wars it can be easy to buy into the doom and gloom. (Insert ominous music here.)
Whether you believe in the predictions or not, one thing is certain: if you want to live your best year ever, live it as if it were your last risking, growing and stretching beyond your wildest dreams is required. And you’re going to have your Inner Critic to contend with. You got to go GREEN on your inner pollution.
You see, your Inner Critic’s job is to keep you safe, maintain the status quo and feed you Big Fat Lies to pollute your mind and keep you sleep walking. Why wait for the wake-up call, a near death experience or the world to end to break free? Let’s live today as if there is no tomorrow…and create 2012 a resolution revolution.
My name is Amy Ahlers, The Wake Up Call Coach and bestselling author of Big Fat Lies Women Tell Themselves; Ditch Your Inner Critic and Wake Up your Inner Superstar (New World Library, 2011), and I’m here to help you ditch the Big Fat Lies that keep you from living your dreams and making 2012 the best year yet.
It’s a resolution revolution…now let’s bust through your inner pollution:
Big Fat Lie #1: I’ll try
• The Truth: If you’re setting goals and resolutions and feeling like you’ll give it the good ole’ ‘college try,’ you are skirting commitment.
• Challenge: Do a litmus test: will you eat a food you hate if you don’t follow through?
Big Fat Lie #2: Focusing on my problems helps me solve them
• The Truth: You need to create your goals for the year from your Inner Wisdom, from what you want…from the solution.
• Challenge: First say what you don’t want to get the contrast, and then say what you DO want. Make sure you resolutions express your desire.
Big Fat Lie #3: I’m a failure
• The Truth: We all fail. Even though we just began the New Year you may have already fallen down on a goal. It’s time to learn how to process failing so that you know you’re NOT a failure
• Challenge: Look at the last failure you experienced and notice what you learned from it. Take the lesson and ditch the rest.
Whatever Big Fat Lies your Inner Critic is beating you up with, it’s time to lock in on the truth of how fabulous you are. It’s time to live like there is no tomorrow. In the words of writer Bonnie Friedman, “Why wait for a near-death experience when life itself is a near-death experience?”
* * *
AMY AHLERS, the Wake-Up Call coach and cofounder of the Inner Mean Girl Reform School, is the bestselling author of Big Fat Lies Women Tell Themselves: Ditch Your Inner Critic and Wake Up Your Inner Superstar. Visit her online at http://www.wakeupcallcoaching.com or http://www.bigfatliesbook.com